Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Month in New York City

I have spent this month getting myself resettled and a bit organized; catching up with family and old friends; seeing lots of movies (not really possible in Belize); and planning for what is next.  I am looking to return to Central America or perhaps South America working for a non-profit organization for briefer consultations.  I am following the news there (when I can get away from the insanity of partisan political "news" here.)  This video of the actions of the Honduras National Police acting with U.S. support leads me to think about the need for solidarity work; sadly it looks like it is the 80s all over again.  This is a link to the story:  It is interesting especially having just spent 15 months in Belize, where so many rural villages are made up of refugees from Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua, and although their legal status is in question, they are able to farm the land and sell in the market.

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=7111

No comments:

Post a Comment